CGCRI – Central Glass and Ceramic Research Institute Kolkata
Central Glass and Ceramic Research Institute is a Kolkata based research institute under Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, India. Established in 1950 it focuses on the area of glass, ceramics, mica, refractories etc.
Central Glass and Ceramic Research Institute (CGCRI) originally proposed to be named as Central Glass & Silicate Research Institute is one of the first four laboratories decided to be set up under the Council of Scientific & Industrial Research, the other three being National Chemical Laboratory,Pune; National Physical Laboratory, New Delhi and Central Fuel Research Institute, Dhanbad. Even though it started functioning in a limited way in 1944, the Institute was formally inaugurated on August 26, 1950.
At the initial stages most of the work was directed towards identifying suitable mineral resources within the country and their suitability for specific product development. The quality control aspects in glass and ceramic received due attention and so was the work on glass forming machines and glass-lined equipment.
As a logical continuation of the work of the fifties, CGCRI’s stepping into sixties marked a very important milestone in the history of economic development of the country. Development of various types of optical glasses brought CGCRI into limelight in the international arena.
Optical glass is a strategic material used as lenses and prisms for making periscopes, binoculars, range-finders, gun-sights, fire directors, and scientific, photographic and survey instruments like microscopes, telescopes, cameras, projectors, theodolites etc. A special assignment given to the Institute by the Planning Commission was to work out the process technology for production of optical glass with a view to making the country independent of imports in respect of this material. Optical glass was produced in only a few countries of the world and its production technology was kept as a carefully guarded secret. It is indeed a matter of pride that the Institute succeeded in establishing the details of the technology including design and fabrication of the required equipment without any foreign collaboration. The Institute’s pilot plant with an annual capacity of 10 tonnes went into production in 1961.
Address: 196, Raja Subodh Chandra Mullick Rd, Jadavpur, Kolkata, West Bengal 700032