Tata Institute of Social Sciences
TISS was established in 1936, as the Sir Dorabji Tata Graduate School of Social Work, the first school of social work in India. It was renamed to its current name in 1944. It was recognised as a Deemed University in 1964 by the University Grants Commission of India. TISS started out as a small institute offering a post-graduate diploma in Social Work, but has since expanded continuously in terms of educational programmes and infrastructure (see list of programs). The first director of the institute was Clifford Manshardt, who aimed to establish a post-graduate social work school of national stature that would engage in a continuous study of Indian social issues and create meaningful interventions.
Over the years, the Institute has, among other thrusts, made a significant contribution to policy, planning, action strategies and human resource development. It has done so in several areas, ranging from sustainable rural and urban development to education, health, communal harmony, human rights and industrial relations. TISS has earned recognition as an institution of repute from different Ministries of the Government of India and various State Governments, as well as international agencies such as the United Nations, and the non-government sector, both national and international.
Address: Bhuban Rd, Latasil, Uzan Bazar, Guwahati, Assam 781001
Phone: 0361 251 0423