Chaturbhuj Temple, Orccha
The temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu and was constructed by the Bundela Rajputs of Madhya Pradesh around the 16th century AD. Chaturbhuj temple is known for its remarkable architecture with tall spires, which give them an imposing look. The interiors and exteriors have also been extensively adorned with stone carvings depicting flowers, petals and geometric patterns.
Chaturbhuj Temple is located to the south of Khajuraho, and is commonly known as Jatarika Temple after the name of the village where it is situated. It is dedicated to Lord Vishnu, who is also known as Chaturbhuj or “one with four arms”. It is believed to be built by the king of Orchha, Raja Madhukar Shah, between 1558 and 1573.
Exploring this magnificent edifice is a journey in itself. Even a distant glance of the Chaturbhuj Temple would astonish you with its grandeur, and up close, its fenced boundary walls radiate a mysterious charm. Climbing up the stairs to enter this seven-storeyed temple would not be so comfortable though, but is worth it. The walls of the temple are masterfully carved with various sculptures of deities. Beautiful arched balconies, airy courtyards and the pointed shikharas of the temple deserve appreciation.
This gigantic temple has a rustic appeal and rests on a chabutara (raised platform). You can also get a glimpse of European cathedral style of architecture in the Chaturbhuj Temple. There is a distinguished, 2.7 metres tall idol of Lord Vishnu, which is a crucial aspect of this temple. Besides this, there is an entrance porch, sanctum and mandap. The main deity room of the temple is open for all, except for some particular hours of the day.
Chaturbhuj Temple in Orchha is one of the most fabulous and ancient architectural marvels of the time in the town. It was built by king Madhukar in between the years 1558 and 1573. The temple houses an idol of Lord Vishnu with four arms but was originally meant for Lord Rama’s idol.
Legends say that when Lord Rama’s idol which is placed at the Rani Niwas, the private residence of Raja Madhukar’s wife- Maharani Gansh Kunwar, rejected to move to the temple, an idol of Lord Vishnu with four arms was kept in the temple and this is how the temple came to be known as Chaturbhuj Temple.
The magnificent architecture of Chaturbhuj Temple, Orchha in Madhya Pradesh attracts thousands of visitors every year. The temple stands on a huge, stone platform, which itself is a lofty rectangular building with a very simple exterior, ornamented on two large and four small spires. Chaturbhuj temple’s interior is rather devoid of carving ornament. The great loftiness of its ceiling is an unusual feature in a hindu temple.
Chaturbhuj temple, seemingly divided into three portions. The main temple with the Garbha Griha has the tallest Shikhara which gives a beautiful impression of a temple architecture blended with that of palace. The central portion of the temple has gone up in four storey. The third portion of this temple on all the three sides resembles the palace of the central portion. While, the fourth and last portion is in the shape of a gateway which is still remained unfurnished. Lotus emblems and other symbols of religious significances provide a delicate exterior ornamentation. Within the sanctum is chastely plain with high, vaulted walls emphasizing its deep sanctity.
A visit to the Chaturbhuj Temple in Orchha is one of a lifetime experience for the travelers who seek beauty and magnificence in the places they travel.