Guntur Medical College
Guntur Medical College had a humble beginning in the 1940s. The then Government of Madras issued an order on June 22, 1946 that Guntur Medical College would start functioning from July1, 1946 admitting 50 students. The help rendered by Mrs. Achanta Rukmini Lakshmipathi, the then Health Minister was immense and all those who receive their education in this great institution are really indebted to her. Dr. G.V.Satynarayana Murthy took charge as the Special Officer, GMC Scheme on september 17, 1946.
The students of the first few batches who joined GMC were really variegated. Some were Andhra; some were Tamilians and a few Malayalis and Kannadigas. Women’s hostel was established in September 1946. A rented building in 3rd line Brodiepet was made the men’s hostel. Dr.D.Jagannatha Reddy took charge as the Principal on July 26, 1954.The Pathology block, constructed in front of the Physiology Block, housed the paraclinical branches, administrative section and lecture galleries. The excellent Pathology Museum is still considered one of the best in the country.
Clinical courses were started by Sri T.Prakasam, the then Chief Minister. The clinical departments located in the new General Hospital were established on modern lines. Dr. M.Munuswamy, Professor of Surgery , was the first Superintendent.
The first batch of MBBS student who had their full studies in Guntur appeared for the final MBBS examination in April, 1958. The intake of students gradually increased to 105 in 1957 and then to 125 in 1958 and to 150 in 1959. The three storied main building was named ‘Achanta Rukminamma Memorial Building’ in memory of the great lady. Major K.N.Rao, the Director of Medical Services, was instrumental in obtaining all the necessary grant approvals and aid. The hostel for men students, built on the Amaravathi road, was granted in 1958. The MCI accorded full recognition for the college in 1959.
Permission was granted to start the PG courses in 1958. A separate building for Library cum Auditorium was granted on July 2, 1962 by Major K,N.Rao. Dr. P. Narasimharao, the then Principal was responsible for making the GMC a centre for PG examinations. The Open Air Auditorium and Cafeteria came into existence during his time. Guntur Medical College celebrated its Silver Jubilee during the principal ship of Dr.K.Kodandaramaiah. The Diamond Jubilee was celebrated in February 2007 when Dr K.Uma Maheswara Rao was the Principal. The Government Hospital underwent a sea change over the last few decades. The untiring efforts of many stalwarts resulted in the phenomenal growth of the hospital as one of the best tertiary care hospitals in the state.
The old Students association of GMC (GMCOSA) was founded in 1971 on the occasion of the Silver Jubilee of the college. In December 1981, our alumni in USA formed an organization called GMC Alumni of North America (GMCANA). They donated generously to various projects like CME centre, Operation theatres, Ultrasound and X Ray Machines, Neonatal Care and the Auditorium.
GMC and GGH have a proven record of rendering yeoman service in the field of health care and some of the brilliant medical personalities produced by this great institution are a testimony to its heritage.