History Class XII Syllabus
|Units 1 – 4||Themes in Indian History Part – I||25|
|Units 5 – 9||Themes in Indian History Part – II||25|
|Units 10 – 15||Themes in Indian History Part – III||25|
|Unit 16||Map Work||05|
Themes in Indian History Part-I
1. The Story of the First Cities: Harappan Archaeology
Early urban centres.
2. Political and Economic History: How Inscriptions tell a story
Political and economic history from the Mauryan to the Gupta period.
3. Social Histories: Using the Mahabharata
Issues in social history, including caste, class, kinship and gender.
4. A History of Buddhism: Sanchi Stupa
- A brief review of religious histories of Vedic religion, Jainism, Vaisnavism, Saivism.
- Focus on Buddhism
Themes in Indian History Part-II
5. Agrarian Relations: The Ain-i-Akbari
- Structure of agrarian relations in the 16th and 17th centuries.
- Patterns of change over the period.
6. The Mughal Court: Reconstructing Histories through Chronicles
- Outline of political history 15th-17th centuries.
- Discussion of the Mughal court and politics.
7. New Architecture: Hampi
- Outline of new buildings during Vijayanagar period-temples, forts, irrigation facilities.
- Relationship between architecture and the political system.
8. Religious Histories: The Bhakti-Sufi tradition
- Outline of religious developments during this period.
- Ideas and practices of the Bhakti-Sufi saints.
9. Medieval Society Through Travelers’ Accounts
Outline of social and cultural life as they appear in travelers’ accounts.
Themes in Indian History Part-III
10. Colonialism and-Rural Society: Evidence from Official Reports
- Life of zamindars, peasants and artisans in the late 18th century
- East India Company, revenue settlements and surveys.
- Changes over the nineteenth century.
11. Representations of 1857
- The events of 1857-58.
- How these events were recorded and narrated.
12. Colonialism and Indian Towns: Town Plans and Municipal Reports
The growth of Mumbai, Chennai, hill stations and cantonments in the 18th and 19th centuries.
13. Mahatma Gandhi through Contemporary Eyes
- The Nationalist Movement 1918 – 48.
- The nature of Gandhian politics and leadership.
14. Partition through Oral Sources
- The history of the 1940s.
- Nationalism, Communalism and Partition.
15. The Making of the Constitution
- Independence and the new nation state.
- The making of the Constitution.
Unit 16: Map Work
Map Work on Units 1-15